Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Steak in a Cast Iron Pan

A few nights ago, my husband and I decided to cook steak inside rather than on the grill. It was easy and delicious! First of all, I made a seasoned butter to sear the steaks in. I didn't actually measure what I put in but it went something like this:
I cut up a stick of cold, unsalted butter and put it in my food processor. Next, I added about a heaping teaspoon, more or less, of sea salt, lemon pepper, dried parsley, and garlic powder. I also put a whole garlic clove in, several grinds of black pepper (using my pepper grinder) and a pinch of red pepper flakes. I whizzed it up, formed it into a roll in wax paper, and placed it in the fridge until we were ready to use it. (We saved two pats for the baked potatoes.)


Next, we preheated the oven to 475 degrees, seasoned the steaks with salt and pepper, and melted about half the butter in a cast iron skillet. Then we seared the steaks on each side for about 45 seconds, adding more butter when we turned the steaks.


Next, we put the cast iron pan in the preheated oven.

I like my steak medium well, my husband likes his medium. We left them in the oven for about 5 minutes. 
The finished product:

They were delicious! Alongside the tasty t-bones, we also had oven-baked potatoes (with the seasoned butter, fresh chives, and sour cream) and cowboy beans (a recipe for another day).
By the way, this was home-grown, grass fed, totally organic beef that we raised ourselves!








No comments:

Post a Comment