Monday, January 11, 2016

Sourdough Cornbread

Check out my newest YouTube video for the recipe for Sourdough Cornbread! It is, seriously, the best cornbread you will ever eat. However......attempting to make it in my grandmother's antique cast iron cornstick pans did not work out too well. The cornbread I made in my husband's new cast iron loaf pan worked great though!
https://youtu.be/6SD6b4O5ApQ


And, as promised, here's my sourdough starter recipe again:
2 cups potato water
1/2 cup rye flower
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp active dry yeast

In a 2 quart jar, mix all ingredients until smooth. Cover loosely with cheesecloth and let stand in a warm spot. Stir every 24 hours, until bubbly, usually 4-10 days. When it is ready, store loosely covered in fridge. Once a week, feed your starter. Remove from the fridge and stir vigorously, then remove one cup. Either use, or throw away. Add one cup unbleached all-purpose flour and just enough warm water to make consistency similar to pancake batter (usually 1/2 to 3/4 cup). Re-cover with cheesecloth and allow to sit in a warm place overnight. Place back in the fridge the next morning. 
I like to use my starter at room temperature, so I pull it out of the fridge the night before I'm going to use it. Occasionally, I feed it with potato water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment