Friday, January 29, 2016

Sourdough Green Chile Bread

Of all the recipes that I make with my sourdough starter, this one is my FAVORITE! There's just something about the sourdough flavor combined with green chilis. It's addictive. Seriously.
I use the same basic recipe for all of my loaves of sourdough bread, I just like to play around and add things to change up the flavor.
You must have a starter on hand. I've had mine for about two years.

Here's the recipe for the starter:

2 cups potato water
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Instructions-
In a 2-quart jar, mix all ingredients until smooth. Cover loosely with cheesecloth and let stand in a warm spot....like a sunny window sill. Stir every 24 hours, until bubbly (and smelling a bit sour). This takes 4 to 10 days.
Once it's nice and bubbly, store loosely covered in the fridge.
Once a week, feed your starter (it's like having another pet). Remove from the fridge and let it come to room temperature. Remove one cup of starter (and use it to make something delicious.....or, if you're in a hurry.....you can always just throw it away). Add one cup of unbleached all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup warm water and stir vigorously.  If I have potato water on hand, I use that. Occasionally, I'll add a tablespoon of yeast just to give it a boost. Let it sit at room temp overnight then place it back in the fridge the next morning. 
I have, on occasion, gone two weeks without feeding the starter....no harm, no foul. 

For this bread recipe, I use my Breville breadmaker. Begin by putting 1 cup of starter in the bread pan. 

Next, pour in 1 cup of hot water (about 110 degrees F)

Sprinkle in 1 Tablespoon of sugar

and 1 Tablespoon of active dry yeast (not rapid rise)


Stir gently and put in a warm place for about 20 minutes


After 20 minutes it should have started to bubble a bit

Next, add 3 cups of bread flour


3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil


2 teaspoons of sea salt


And, last, but not least, 1 small can of diced green chilis


Place the pan in the breadmaker and choose your settings. I use the whole wheat setting because it will preheat the pan and gives a longer rising time. 


As the dough mixes it will appear a little sticky. That's fine. Sourdough is a bit wetter than basic bread dough.  If it looks too dry, pour in a little more warm water. 

After the first rise it will be nice a poofy (cooking term).....


And the finished loaf!















No comments:

Post a Comment