Friday, October 16, 2015

Compost

This year I attempted composting for the very first time. Amazingly enough, I have two big trash cans full of rich black dirt!! First, my husband drilled holes in two large, black, plastic trash cans. Next, I started keeping a large baggie in my freezer to throw things like coffee grounds, egg shells, and fruit & veggie scraps in. When the baggie would get full, I'd throw the contents into the two barrels, put some newspaper or paper from our shredder in there, wet it a little, and shut the lid. Sometimes I'd add grass clippings or leaves also. Occasionally I'd wet it a bit and stir it with a shovel.
From what I've read, the trick is to have a "live" compost pile. That means you have some critters, like earth worms, in there helping to break everything down. And apparently it works! Cause my little worms that somehow found their way into my compost barrels have done the trick! (The last pic was me attempting to get a close up of the worms. If you don't like worms, don't look!)










No comments:

Post a Comment