Thursday, October 15, 2015

Catfish

Another thing on the farm that I feed is our catfish. This particular pond has been on the farm as long as I can remember. And it's never gone dry. It's spring fed. About three years ago we hired a man with a dozer to clean the pond out and make it a little deeper. Once it filled up, we stocked it with some catfish. At first we threw out floating fish food for them. But then we had an issue with raccoons getting into our feed (before we had a new feed room built, which is awesome.....and another story for another day). And after a while we just kind of forgot about the catfish. Of course, they had minnows, insects, algae, etc.... to eat so they didn't starve.
We had a lot of flooding in our area last spring and all the ponds overflowed. After the water went back down to a normal level, we put some small fish in a new pond that we recently had dug and we bought more fish food. So about two months ago, I decided to take some of the floating fish food with me when I checked cows. I stopped at the older, spring-fed pond and threw a little out. OH MY GOODNESS! The catfish immediately started coming to the top to eat the food. I could not believe the size of those fish!! So now I feed them every other day. This picture doesn't do justice to the number of fish who come up to eat. I think I have myself a fishing hole sweet spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment