Monday, November 16, 2015

Christmas Treasures; More Than Just Decorations

I know, I know.....it's not even Thanksgiving and here I  am putting Christmas decorations out. But I just couldn't wait any longer! I LOVE decorating for fall, but, even more, I LOVE decorating for Christmas.
I love fall weather, I love the leaves and the promise of the holiday season. It's such a wonderful time of year. But, all of my fall decorations are things that I've purchased. Ones that have been accumulated over the last few years. There's nothing "sentimental" in my fall decorating. And that's the thing that's missing.
I have so many sentimental Christmas decorations. They not only make my home beautiful, they make me smile, they remind me of people that I love and miss, they are a sweet memory. And that's so much more than just a decoration.
My maternal grandmother bought me the two little elves about 45 years ago. And my paternal grandmother gave me the Santa mugs around the same time. They've moved with me to every house I've ever lived in. And, after Christmas, I pack them away very carefully.
The snow globe was a gift from my mother. After I was an adult and had my own home, each year she would buy me a new Christmas decoration. This is the last one that she bought for me. The following Christmas she was very ill and it was her last Christmas with us. I've had the snow globe for 20 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment