Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Baby Calf and a Winter Hail Storm

Our weather around here has been crazy to say the least. Torrential downpours, frigid temps, damaging high winds, hail storms in December....and, keep in mind, this was all in one day.
And, to top it all off, we had a brand new baby calf born in this weather. The poor baby was born in the cold rain, just before the hail storm and high winds hit. Fortunately, my husband was home for this adventure. He misses so many of them.....
We were able to get the cow and calf in a lot with a shed and get a heat lamp on the baby. However, he was still shivering. So I took my coat off and wrapped him in it while I snuggled with him to attempt to transfer my body heat to him. All while holding the heat lamp over his head.
The cow was on the other side of the lot, behind a gate, happily eating hay. But I truly believe that she knew I was trying to help her baby. Because now she will come up to me and let me pet her. Something she had never done before.
I'm happy to report that cow and calf are doing fine.
Here's the cold, wet, newborn calf-

Here I am, snuggling the baby and holding the heat lamp on him-

Here's the hail on the ground after the storm!

And here's the sweet baby today-




No comments:

Post a Comment